U.S. Virgin Islands implements Advanced Compliance Monitoring solution
Article date: December 01, 2008
Leader Services is pleased to add the U.S. Virgin Islands’ Department of Education as the newest client of Leader’s web-based compliance monitoring system, Advanced Compliance Monitoring (ACM).
St. Croix and St. Thomas, two school districts in the Virgin Islands, began using the system in the fall of 2008. “The system has been operating successfully and is meeting our clients’ expectations,” said Programmer/Analyst George J. Schneider, the Leader project liaison for system implementation.
Using a web-based system, state education agencies and school districts conduct much of the compliance monitoring process online, which increases the efficiency of the monitoring process while saving on postal, printing, and other costs. Leader’s ACM system was customized to meet the unique needs of the Virgin Islands’ DOE.
School districts use the system to respond to procedural questions and to compare their district data against state averages. They respond to student file review questionnaires, the results of which are rolled up districtwide and statewide for compliance review. The state education agency then creates corrective action plans for each district online, which the school districts review and address. This corrective action process continues until all issues are resolved. Among its other advantages, the application provides critical data required by the Annual Performance Reports (APR) and State Performance Plan (SPP); provides more effective and efficient communication with LEAs on necessary improvement areas; and eliminates the need to distribute complex client software across multiple platforms and environments.
Advanced Compliance Monitoring is a hosted, Software as a Service (SaaS) solution, mitigating the need for the overhead of dedicated servers and the need for additional information technology staff for clients. Leader Services has provided a compliance monitoring solution for the Pennsylvania Department of Education since 1997 (since 2001 on the web), and since 2007 for Missouri’s Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Division of Special Education.
About Leader Services
Leader Services is a vanguard in special education software and services. Headquartered in West Hazleton, PA, with satellite offices in Alameda, Sacramento, and Temecula, CA; Harrisburg, PA; and Seattle, WA, Leader Services provides custom web-based software and information management services for school district, consortium, and state-level education clients across the country. Leader's product line includes a number of secure, web-based applications:
- IEPWriter.com, a web-based solution for generating, storing and tracking Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) which automates reporting and expedites compliance with federal and state regulations;
- Children Count, the IDEA Child Count data capture and reporting module of IEPWriter.com which shares IEPWriter's student and staff database and consolidates special education data capture, form generation, and reporting;
- Federal Monitor™, a web-based solution which allows states to monitor LEAs' use of federal grant funding for No Child Left Behind and other initiatives;
- Advanced Compliance Monitoring™, a state-level IDEA compliance monitoring solution designed to assist states in meeting the needs of the Continuous Improvement and Focused Monitoring System (CIFMS), a model developed by the federal Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) to ensure school district compliance with IDEA 04 and IDEA reauthorizations;
- custom systems in multiple states for Medicaid billing for medically necessary IEP health-related services provided to MA-eligible special education students;
- and custom solutions for State Educational Agencies.